Sunday, July 26, 2015

Sunday Salon

Yesterday totally got away from me and I never posted anything even though I had cooked a ton this past week.

I even whipped up a pasta recipe that Kristen at Iowa Girl Eats had on her blog.  Everyone - including two friends of my girls' - liked it. 

 


This past week I found myself without my usual sidekicks on a few occasions. My mom is back from vacation so the girls have been excited to go with her a few times.  It was so quiet without them, I hardly knew what to do with myself.

But I did manage. One item on my summer bucket list was getting a pedicure.  I'll spare you the nasty details, but I am appalled that I have a fungus on my one toenail.  I've tried tea tree oil and Vick's Salve without any noticeable change.  At this point I'm not inclined to go on an anti-fungal medication which is extremely hard on your kidneys and necessitates monitoring of kidney function.  
So my solution was to have it covered up with nail polish - at least for the summer months.  The nice gentleman who gave me a pedicure offered to remove my toenail for me, which I turned down.






Taking advantage of our hot, sticky weather, I took the girls and their friends to the pool - and stayed there for five hours.  Since we don't live in the same town where we have our pool membership, just dropping them off and coming back for them doesn't ever happen. And with Little Sister just being eight I don't think she's ready for that yet.  Part of me wishes we lived closer so that was an option, but lying in a chair and reading a book isn't really all that bad a way to spend your day.




We also had a bonfire with our neighbors last night and managed to get to bed just before midnight.

Tonight I've got chicken and veggie kabobs planned for supper and since I've just come back from the store, have our meals for the week pretty well planned out.

I am officially in a reading slump.  I've read so many books this summer that I knew it was bound to happen eventually.  I'm just hoping it passes quickly since the TBR stacks don't look any smaller than they did when summer started.

Since summer school starts on August 3, this coming week is really my last free week.  I'll admit that although I'm not entirely ready to be back at school,  I've started to think about it, and get excited for different things I want to teach.

I've got a dental and hair appointment for myself this week as well as a list of errands to run.  

I plan on making the most of this last week of total freedom.  How about you? What's your plan for the upcoming week?


2 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

The toes look pretty -- I cringed about the offer to remove the nail...LOL

Have a great week, and hope your slump leave soon:)

Kay said...

Wow! School already. I think ours doesn't start here until the 24th. However, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law, who both teach elementary, have to go back the week before that. Yuck on the toe nail stuff. I used to get pedicures more often, but it's so far to drive to the place that I trusted for cleanliness, I've just pretty much stopped. I do it myself.

Enjoy your last week. I wouldn't even worry about the reading. Maybe a binge watch of something on Netflix?