Monday, March 2, 2015

Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of our Everyday Lives

Gretchen Rubin is probably my favorite author of self-help books.  I loved The Happiness Project. I loved Happier at Home and now I absolutely love Better Than Before: Mastering The Habits of Our Everyday Lives.




Rubin has begun to feel a bit like a friend.  As she writes about her family, I found myself thinking, "oh, yeah, that's right....Jamie (her husband) does have health problems." "Are her girls really that old already?"  I feel like Rubin and I are catching up.

This time Rubin sets out to write about our habits. Although I view myself as a creature of habit, I am guessing that people who are not will still relate to this book.  

In fact Rubin is able to divide people into categories based on their behavior.  Although I wasn't ever sure I fell firmly into any one category, I could then see how Rubin counseled each category of people to be the most successful in accomplishing their goals and helping them develop habits that were helpful to them.

Rubin's book reads much like her previous self help books. I appreciate the variety of friends and family she shares with readers, which gives a more well rounded view of the topic of which she writes.

I finished this book a few weeks ago, and felt it spoke directly to me.  My mom is now reading it, and after she is done, I would like to pick it up again. I rarely re-read books, but Rubin's Better Than Before is one book I feel that I could turn to time and time again and always find something new to learn.

I can't wait until this one is released in a few days, and I'm already looking ahead to what topic Rubin will tackle next.

No comments: