Monday, April 7, 2014

The Secret of Life of Violet Grant

Beatriz Williams has managed to write a another interesting historical fiction novel with characters I can't quite get out of my mind.



Vivian is living in New York City in 1964 when a mysterious suitcase comes into her possession.  The suitcase once belonged to Vivian's great aunt Violet, and perhaps holds the key to her disappearance. As the story alternates narrators, Vivian's great aunt Violet's story is revealed, although for decades her family has managed to keep it hush hush.

Secrets that have long been locked away are revealed as Vivian tries to locate her great aunt Violet.  Although Vivian has hopes of writing a story about her great aunt, she is also curious about her mysterious disappearance and accusation that Violet murdered her husband.

As we read Violet's narration, we see that Violet's marriage was anything but happy, and her scientific work and the people she spent time with played a part in her disappearance.

Williams is able to recreate the era Violet lives in and I could imagine Europe in the early 1900s as I read.  The twists in this story kept me guessing, and I was caught up in both Violet and Vivian's stories.  Williams work is quickly making her one of my must-read authors, and I can't wait to see what she writes next.

No comments: