Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Blast from the Past

It's interesting to look back and see what I was reading a decade ago. So often it feels like much less time has passed, and these books can help me recreate where I was and what I was doing at this time in my life.

This month I have five titles that make me fondly look back on April 2004-  Middle Sister was just six months old, and Big Sister, 2 and 1/2.

Of these titles, the book that sticks in my mind the most is My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.  I remember reading it and looking ahead to see if the mother narrated any of the story - I wasn't sure I could handle reading about a mother whose child had cancer. 

And then, a year and a half later, I was a mom with a child who had cancer.  I don't know if I could read that book now because it is just too close to my own experience.  When My Sister's Keeper came out as a movie, I didn't go to see it, either.  It's interesting to see how events in our own lives can really influence the types of books we do or do not read.



Any books that have stuck with you for the past decade?  Five years ago? Last year?

No comments: